Monday, August 16, 2010

Spring Cleaning

If you know me, you know that my computer has to be broken for me to have a clean house. Well, my computer wasn't broken but my house was clean yesterday! As I have been gathering things for the local children's resale, I have been cleaning and tossing! So as it isn't the spring season, I have definitely been cleaning! (With the omission of laundry, but that NEVER ceases!{Oh & the dungeoun...but I ain't goin' down there}) I have many, many things to take with me this weekend...I'm hoping one table will be enough! Also hoping to be able to raffle off the diaper cake I made last spring.
Amidst all of the house wreckage and commotion, I decided to look up the exact meaning of "Spring Cleaning" and where it originates from. It is actually quite interesting.

**Definitions & origins excerpted from wikipedia.com
It has been suggested that the origins of spring cleaning date back to the Iranian Norouz, the Persian new year, which falls on the first day of spring[citation needed]. Iranians continue the practice of "khooneh tekouni" which literally means "shaking the house" just before the new year. Everything in the house is thoroughly cleaned, from the drapes to the furniture. A similar tradition is the Scottish "New Year's cleaning" on Hogmanay (December 31), a practice now also widespread in Ireland, New Zealand, and to some extent North America.
In North America and northern Europe, the custom found an especial practical value due to those regions' continental and wet climates. During the 19th century in America, prior to the advent of the vacuum cleaner, March was often the best time for dusting because it was getting warm enough to open windows and doors (but not warm enough for insects to be a problem), and the high winds could carry the dust out of the house. For the same reason, modern rural households often use the month of March for cleaning projects involving the use of chemical products which generate fumes.

I can't say I've ever actually SHAKEN the house, but yesterday I believe I was the closest I have ever been to doing so. :) Of course, the spree continued this evening as I proceeded to tackle the shed. But only after my wonderful & caring husband pulled the boxes and totes from the deep, dark webs. :( And I ventured on with my expedition through the maze of boxes. It was then that I realized, I wasn't going to get done with it by nightfall! There was simply too much to do! I got finished with what I could and let the rest sit...in the yard. So much for my nice clean house! Because after my decision to scuffle through the miscellaneous items outdoors, my clean indoor living area was getting destroyed. Dinner was yet to be made and my chores were not done inside. Boo hoo!! So, my yard is a wreck! My living room is a disaster. And since dinner was on the table so late tonight, it still remains on the table and stove waiting, no begging to be put away. It will get done before bedtime, but the remainder of the mess........it lies where it will. Tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, even if they aren't in agreement with my thoughts, but please, be respectful! Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...